Wednesday, February 14, 2007

A post for Valentine's Day

Today is just a day, is just day, is just a day. I could continue to tell myself this over, and over, and over again; or I can own the fact that I know that today is an artificial construct to encourage over-consumption and perpetuate the myth that everybody needs somebody - and that even though I know this, and you know this, the fact remains that I still want a Valentine to call my own.

This morning, as I rolled back over, the university having been shut down due to inclement weather, I thought to myself how great it was that I would be going to work late, but how much greater it would be to have someone there, lying next to me, to share that moment with. Sunlight permeates the blinds as bodies embrace; snuggled under the covers, the thought of just being able to stay in bed a few hours more.

Often I dream of similar scenarios with a potential significant other. It is almost everyone's opinion that I ask too much out of people to make them a perspective partner. My retort is simple: But do not they ask too much of me? Must I not have more hair, a better smile, perfect body? Why is it that I cannot ask them to have a better personality, razor-sharp wit, extensive literary canon; a touch of high-brow mixed with a touch of low?

If this is asking too much, I will relent. To this date in my life people have only diasppointed. But I will not relent, for I do not believe that I am asking too much. My Prince is out there, ready to accept me and my judgments for who I am; nothing more, nothing less. Until that day, I will continue to publicly disavow Valentine's Day, while secretly knowing that this construct has permeated my deeply cynical mind, leaving me longing for my prince's touch and the snuggling of a late morning spent in bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home